[Coco] changing partition types using Linux

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Mon Jun 21 10:49:51 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 01:22:36PM -0500, Roger Taylor wrote:
> At 11:18 AM 6/20/2010, you wrote:
> >On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 02:14:49AM -0500, Roger Taylor wrote:
> >> Does anyone know how I can add other partition types to Fedora 13's
> >> list of predefined partition types in the disk manager GUI ?
> >
> >No idea, sorry...but, the venerable fdisk utility can change partition
> >types.  It is either relatively simple or completely impenetrable,
> >depending on your perspective.  :-)
> >
> >John
> >--
>
> Fdisk isn't doing it.  Some utilities won't recognize the MicroSD
> card/drive, and the ones that do don't have the partition type $DA
> listed.

Make sure you are using the proper identifier for the device on the
command line.  On a modern installation, it should look something
like this:

	fdisk /dev/sdb

If you aren't sure, then check the latter part of the output from
dmesg after attaching your reader and/or inserting the card into it.

Also, be sure that you are using 'w' to write the partition table
and not simply 'q' for quit -- the latter will leave the partition
table unaltered, as if you had never run fdisk at all.

The link someone posted elsewhere in the thread should cover the
mechanics of actually selecting the partition type.  You probably
also want to make sure you are using a "primary" partition.

fdisk does its job, but it neither helps you much nor does it get in
your way.  It is a sharp, pointy tool that is perfectly happy to give
you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot, so be careful! :-)

John