[Coco] Microware OS-9 for x86

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Jun 17 10:54:06 EDT 2010

Proceed with caution definitely! As long as this was kept at a hobbyist level and not used commercially I don't think there would be a problem. If anything Radisys lawyers would issue a "cease and desist" order. To get anything more would require that they prove damages such as loss of revenue. If a company were doing the conversion/rewriting there could be a problem, but they would have a hard time suing a bunch of hobbyists who were doing the conversion for personal use. It would be pretty much not worth the effort or cost to them as they would have a hard time collecting anything. The Gary Kildall (Digital Research)/Bill Gates (Microsoft) suit isn't a good example, that was one relatively successful computer company going after another -- and MS used code from a license they purchased from a third party to create MS-DOS, which was a huge success and for all practical purposes was threatening (and DID!) to put DR out of business since up to then CP/M was the dominant OS. I don't think an X86 port of NOS-9 will be a big threat to Radisys. There's the possibility it could be discovered and reduce some of their legacy system support, but they might welcome that! The main reason I don't think they'd see it as a threat as long as it's on a hobby level is that there is no real support. Now if a company or enterprising individual decided to take it up and offer paid support and marketed it (similar to Linux companies -- free OS, but companies can get paid support from some of the distro companies) as an alternative to a Radisys product I'd think Radisys would have a reason to sue that company, but not necessarily the hobby group that did the work. The hobby group took an obsolete system that is no longer supported and improved/changed it for their personal use, they aren't responsible for what an individual does. In fact, I'd put it under a GPL type license that prohibited commercial use in any form. THAT would protect the bobby group that developed it in this situation -- the fellow who used or attempted to use it commercially also broke the licensing agreement.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"