[Coco] Microware OS-9 for x86

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 13:33:47 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 16 June 2010, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Michael Kerpan <mjkerpan at kerpan.com>
wrote:
>> Given that OS-9 and Nitros-9 are written almost entirely in 6809/6309
>> assembler, I think the chances any code reuse are pretty minimal. Any
>> free x86 version would have to be a rewrite/clone from the ground up.
>> Thus, "Nitros-9 x86" would be in the same boat as Linux or something:
>> perfectly legal.
>
>Potential issues go beyond the 6809 asm.  Consider the contents of the
>help files, the text seen in included programs, even the basic09
>language itself.  Then you have the syscalls that form the foundation
>of the OS, the module format, etc ,etc  Didn't Gary Kildall sue IBM or
>MS over the way DOS used the same system calls as CP/M?
>
>I don't think it's impossible to legally implement "something" that
>works a lot like OS9, but you must also consider that modern companies
>sue first and ask questions later.  If Radisys was to take issue with
>something, even incorrectly, who is going to pay to defend the work?
>SCO's case against Linux had no merit, but it surely cost IBM, Novell,
>etc a few bucks to prove that.
>
>I would proceed with caution.

About the only way would be to make each function in os9 into a high level
description with no code, and then turn that into x86 assembly in a separate
room, done by someone who has never seen the disassembly of Nitros9.

AKA the clean room approach.  And then as you said, its sue first.  And
since IBM et all were going against the likes of Boise-Schiller, you can bet
the farm the collective cost to I've Been Moved, Novell etc, was probably
even higher than the public figures we've seen quoted in the SCO case.

One could probably liquidate the lot of us & not be able to make a payment.
So this would be a project for the DE1, but looking over the fence to x86
code just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.   Arm or PPC makes far more
sense, and is no doubt a lot safer.  But the arm boards start at about $229.

OTOH, IANAL either.