[Coco] Dual UART with FIFO Card for the CoCo

sales at gimechip.com sales at gimechip.com
Tue Jun 15 07:34:32 EDT 2010

Mark,
I've been using PCB-Pool. I'm not really good at laying out PCB's and they
are pretty forgiving.
So far, they've never let me down.
I don't know if they do Gold Plating, but it shouldn't be to difficult to
find out:
http://www.pcb-pool.com/ppus/index.html?PHPSESSID=84a6ef594ca448bad0b319e60cb2491c
I would really like to find a cheaper place - their prices are good, but I
want to be able to sell my stuff as cheaply as possible. I don't really care
about profits - that's why I started uploading everything to coco3.com - I
figured if someone wanted to manufacture and sell any of my stuff, they'd
have the files available for use freely.

This DE-1 Expansion board that I have just finished the design of includes
2-Megs of RAM (as 1Mx16), Gary's Analog Joystick Circuitry, An additional
PS/2 port, and a 16-bit IDE Interface. I am hand routing that as we speak.
It will be the first board that I have entirely hand routed. The IDE is
actually just a 40-Pin connector & 3 pull-up resistors - the D0-D15 and
A0-A3 of the IDE connector are connected to the same signals as the SRAM -
My thinking is that the FPGA can contain the actual interface circuitry. I
think this will work since the CE* of the RAM and the CE*'s of the IDE
should ensure that no two devices will be ''contending'' as long as the FPGA
doesn't assert CE* of more than one device at a time.
It is at this point that I would like to ask your advice. Does that sound
like it will be okay, design wise?

I am about to order the boards for the PS/2 Mouse Interface from PCB-POOL so
I can fill the 9 orders that I have. I was originally going to only order
the 10 boards since it doesn't appear that too many people are interested in
the device, However Dad has offered to pitch in so I can order 50 boards -
he says if nothing else, I'll have 40 spares :-).

My Dad's system sounds similar to your new station - he built it from a
Q6600 because the Phenom's weren't available at the time - it's pretty fast,
yet EAGLE still drags it's butt on this thing.

You have some really awesome stuff. I was about to embark on a PS/2 Keyboard
Interface. Since you already have a keyboard adapter available, I'll explain
what I was thinking: I was going to design an interface that plugged into
the cartridge port - this way the CoCo wouldn't even have to be opened and
it would not matter which CoCo Model you have - the keyboard connector
wouldn't matter. My thinking was that whenever the CoCo made an attempt to
access the keyboard memory areas, the plug in cartridge would assert SLENB*
disabling the internal devices and replacing them with the circuitry inside
the keyboard interface cartridge. It seems plausible - of course it would
need a feedthru cartridge connector so the disk controller could be plugged
into it. Do you think perhaps this is something that you would like to
design? It would be awesome to be able to buy it from cloud-9 :-) and I
don't know when I'll have the time to work out the design.

Thanks for chatting with me - I have admired your products for quite some
time.

-John