[Coco] CoCo Gallery

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 23:18:23 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 09 June 2010, Frank Swygert wrote:
>Mark wrote:
>I recall there was a major Russian? spammer a few years ago who was
> tracked down and had his address published on the net. He wound up dead a
> few days later IIRC... I for one did not shed any tears.
>
>I hope you find a more secure solution!
>
>-----------------
>
>I don't think there is a more secure solution than that one.... ;>
>
>I know that's not what you meant... couldn't help taking it out of context
> a bit!
>
>As for the question about open source... Roger stated that he thought
> Gallery 2 was open source. If it is, then the code is accessible to
> hackers to take advantage of. If not, then his comment can be
> disregarded.

And if it is, the many eyes makes short work of fixing any exploits found.
This above is miss-info AFAIC.  I recall one hole that was found 3 or 4
years ago, and the program was fixed to block that hole in 20 minutes.  You
can't get MS to answer the phone in 20 minutes.

It is also known the WordPress's output can be hacked by a teeny bopper in
10 minutes, at least in Linux circles.  I understand they are trying hard to
fix it, hence a fairly active update cycle.  Roger would be better off using
Amaya, the W3C's own program.  But I'll be the first to say the learning
curve to fully use it, is steep.

>It seems like there are few Linux hackers, or rather few who do things
> destructively to systems just for the fun of it. I think part of the
> reason is many Linux users are pretty darned good at programming and
> technical issues themselves (me NOT included!) and retaliation or
> tracking down the culprit is a lot more likely.

And I'm only half included, getting rusty in my dotage.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)