[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Coco3 256 color mode

jdiffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 6 02:57:22 EDT 2010

Even if the mode was left in the chip, the number of bits for DA conversion of the video output was reduced so only 64 colors would be possible even if it's still there.  If the DA conversion hadn't been messed with, a 256 color pallet would have been possible for other modes instead of just 64.  Whether or not Tandy would have supported 256 colors in other modes is anybody's guess.

If I remember right, the color palette info was 1 bit for each color and 5 for intensity.  But that doesn't really make sense to me, I would think it was 2 bits each color and 2 intensity... but that's just my opinion.