[Coco] Interesting reading

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Jun 19 20:34:28 EDT 2010

A while back I was doing some patent searches and came across several Motorola Patents
on the 6800 series processors. I also came across two other patents that covered the FIRQ
function.

Well today I really started in depth reading of one patent. Well needless to say it is been very
educational. Figure #7 of the design and the corresponding description of it is enlightening on
how the hardware inputs work. From everything I read the embodiement processor for the
invention is the MC6809. No other processor of that time had Reset, Halt, NMI, FIRQ and
IRQ external hardware inputs. Patent US-4200912, Processor Interrupt System, describes
much of the logic behind the MC6809 interrupt system and how it works.

I have gathered this from the patent. There is a priority assigned to the external inputs. They
are as follows:

RESET   1 (highest)
HALT	   2
NMI	   3
FIRQ      4
IRQ        5  (lowest)

Also the priority circuit allows for an asychronous reset to occur and if in HALT mode, once
the HALT input is released a RESET occurs.

So far I have gained even a better insight on the vernable old processor. All this started
recently because I wanted a cycle accurate 6809/6309 processor for a project I have. I also
want to put it in an FPGA for increased speed and lower voltage operation. Hopefully battery
operation capable.

This has been very educational and fun read. I still need to decipher more.  Also if figure #2 is
correct in the patent, then the 6809 has two 8 bit data buses along with the two  8 bit address
buses. That would explain a lot of how movement of data could be done without a huge
amount of buss switches or multiplexors.

Now I have a better idea on how to code the HDL and hopefully a cycle accurate processor
can come out of it. Eventually a 6309 capability also. I think I am about to move this project
up the priority ladder now. ( no pun intended)

more as I get further along.

james