[Coco] Coco Armatron Interfacing

Little John (GIMEchip.com) sales at gimechip.com
Thu Jul 29 23:27:15 EDT 2010

That particular article in Color Computer Magazine was one of several that
detailed the computer control of an Armatron. When my dad gave me all of his
CoCo Stuff, that article along with the one in Hot CoCo and
Radio-Electronics prompted me to seek out some Armatrons (I've got 6 of
them, but haven't converted any as yet). The ROS article that you mention,
if I remember correctly, was in Hot CoCo and was part of James J.
Barbarello's "Hardware Hacker" series. It was for controlling an Armatron as
well. James did a whole series, the first of which was a PIA Pak for
interfacing the rest of the series to the CoCo and part of the series
detailed an Armatron Connection to his PIA Port Cartridge. If I can find the
articles, I'll scan them for you if you like. The article in
Radio-Electronics detailed how to connect one to a VIC-20 and if I'm not
mistaken, the VIC-20 article mounted the Armatron to a piece of plywood with
the motors external (connected by plastic "drive" shafts). I'll see if I can
find that one too. -John