[Coco] OS-9 Floppy / Printer configuration?

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Mon Jul 26 08:48:16 EDT 2010

Chad H wrote:
> Well the "move programs to NitrOS9" didn't work with DeskMate..haven't had
> time to try with others yet.  DeskMate tries to load under NitrOS9 but exits
> almost immediately saying "NOT ENOUGH MEMORY".  The OS9 on the DeskMate disk
> seems very stripped down. I'm thinking NitrOS9 is loading too many modules.
> I even tried booting from original OS-9 disk and then loading DeskMate, same
> error message.

Chad,

Level1 NitrOS-9 has an mfree result of 137 pages while Deskmate 1 gives 162.
That should explain the "NOT ENOUGH MEMORY" message.

It seems your main request is to use Deskmate 1 with the disk hardware on your
system. You have said the disks are assigned Top 0/1 and Bottom 2/3 in your ROM
but that may not be enough information. That just says what DIR0-DIR3 will
access not what the values in the ROM drive table actually are. This is
important as your easiest solution is to modify the CCDISK drive table on the
Deskmate disk to match your hardware.

On the stock Deskmate disk, the drive table values are at CCDISK bytes $209
01,02,04,$40. These are the drive masks used to access the four floppies if the
modules are present in the OS9Boot file. Deskmate has only /d0 and /d1 in the
bootfile.
You probably need to change the table to match that in your ROM. My guess would
be your ROM table is 01,$41,02,$42 based on your description. The more usual
table would be 01,02,$41,$42 making the top drive 0/2 and the bottom 1/3.
Antway it looks like you need to change the CCDISK table to 01,$41,02,$42.

 From the thread I've been reading, that could be more trouble for you than the
effort is worth. Would you like me to e-mail you a modified disk?

Robert