[Coco] scary old code

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 00:37:10 EDT 2010

I think most of us who were introduced to the world of programming via
the CoCo probably have some very bad code on a disk or tape somewhere.
 The CoCo makes it so easy to start programming that you can get ahead
of yourself, writing code that is beyond your own skill level by trial
and error.   I don't think that's a bad thing... doing something the
wrong way helps you appreciate the right way once you figure it out.

I don't have kids, but if I did, I would want them to have the same
experience.  Sure, you might pick up a couple bad habits by learning
on your own, but those are easily corrected.  The insight you gain
from learning on a machine like the CoCo is priceless.  On a modern
computer, I don't know how a kid would even start to learn
programming.  With the CoCo, it's instantly ready for you to
experiment.   The BASIC manuals were a big part of it too, they really
encouraged you to try things and explained each step without becoming
a boring computer book.  I wonder if there is anything done that well
for kids (or even adults) today.

Anyway, don't feel bad or ashamed of old code that's poorly done,
after all, simply knowing that it's bad indicates you've learned new
things and grown as a programmer.   If you look at code from years
prior and cannot see problems with it, you've stopped learning.  (or
you are one heck of a programmer :)

-Aaron