[Coco] drivewire suggestions

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sat Jul 17 18:54:10 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 08:33:30AM -0400, Steven Hirsch wrote:

> Are you sure your Performa doesn't have ethernet built-in?  On some of the
> earlier models they had a "mini AUI" connector on the rear panel.  A
> number of companies made adapters to convert this to RJ45.

Unfortunately, yes, I'm sure.  ;-)  Actually, I have an AAUI
transciever in my box o' ethernet parts.  Some companies just can't
*stand* open standards, can they?

>You also have the alternative of a localtalk<-->ethernet bridge,

I'd prefer real ethernet. Besides, the proper ethernet card is cheap
(esp. the AAUI only Apple card).  I'm just horribly broke. :-(

>Macs (and the IIGS) used a Zilog SCC serial chip and spoke
>localtalk from the printer and/or modem ports.

Yep.  Localtalk is pretty cool.  Tandylink was the same thing for the
Model 4 and the T1000, except twice as fast.

> There are many flavors of Apple disk images.  Most are sector dumps.  The
> low-level nibble dumps were for copy-protected games and were not common
> anyway.

That's good.  A DW server wouldn't have to go through lots of hoops to
read them, and presumably most Apple II stuff would work just being
sent the sectors.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA