[Coco] Internet via Coco

James Dessart skwirl42 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 11:18:14 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:09 PM, coco wal <cocowal6809 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Would you need to map the entire 32 bytes into the Coco's I/O at once? Or
>> could you have a buffer (similar to no-halt disk controllers), that you map
>> into 1 (or 2) bytes, and "stream-read" off of to collect (or write) the
>> buffer contents? I still like the way the Elimimator controller from FHL
>> worked... it latched into 2 consecutive memory locations, but presented the
>> same byte on both, until a read started. That way, you could use TFM on a
>> 6309 on one memory location for maximum speed, or do a LDD from 2
>> consecutive memory locations on a 6809, for maximum speed on that chip.
>>
>> Thats an excellent solution , its implementation  would be a great project
> for many modern devices that we could interface to the coco , the memory
> address space limitation we face really is a PITA.

The actual data coming and going from the controller is only 2 bytes
of the entire space. There are 16 bytes for data and 16 bytes of
registers, I believe. The idea would be to have one latch to select
which byte to address and the other to access the actual byte.

--
James Dessart
<http://ideaoubliette.blogspot.com/>