[Coco] Internet via Coco

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 08:09:06 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 7:48 AM, Steven Hirsch <snhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>
>> On the other hand, things like telnet, ftp, IRC, etc can be
>> done quite well on the CoCo.  The IRC clients I've seen in development
>> look like first class applications that are every bit as usable as
>> modern clients on modern PCs.
>
> Indeed.  There are several good examples floating around for the Apple 2.
> One of them, Contiki, is available with full source code.  Perhaps the IP
> stack can be lifted and translated to 6809 assembler?

It's a possibility.  There was an effort to port contiki to the CoCo
but it seems to have been abandoned.
Personally, I never saw contiki on coco as all that interesting, since
it is a completely different OS.  I'm more interested in bringing
TCP/IP to our native OS9.  From what I've seen, a native OS9 IP stack
may not be the best way to do this.
Allowing the CoCo to control an external IP stack, whether that is
located in a rompak or on another PC, seems to be
more practical.  That's the direction I'm going in new projects for now.