[Coco] MPI replacements?

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 10 03:29:36 EDT 2010

On 09/07/2010 21:15, Rob Rosenbrock wrote:
> Rather than a GAL or discrete logic, have you ever considered using a
> small ROM? I've seen one implemented utilizing it as a truth table.

The problem with using a Rom or a GAL/PAL is that you need an external
programmer to program the logic into them. Programmers for these devices
are generally quite expensive.

The advantage with a CPLD is that they are generally in circuit
programmable with a cable that can be purchased or made relatively
cheaply. Also it makes changing the logic much easier. They are
generally available in PLCC (such as the Xilinx 9536/9572/95108 and the
XL versions) which means they can be socketed and don't then need any
surface mount soldering.

Just my 2p/2c :)

Phill.