[Coco] Surface Mount Soldering

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Jul 6 16:25:03 EDT 2010

Mark

I agree the newer fine pitch BGAs with 0.8 mm pitch are really out of the range of hobbyists.
In fact there is not hardly any PCB fab house that will does that pitch and pin count even with
protoboards.

For 584 pin FBGA package you are going to need at least 8 layers to get all the pins wired.
You are talking 12 mil pads and 3 to 5 mil runners along with 5 mil vias. The smallest via tha
tI have found that a shop will do for hobbyist is aobut 8 mil vias. That is only on 4 layer
boards. ALso no blind vias. I hate blind vias. They are the creation of the devi.

The 80 pin 100 mil pitch (2.54 mm) I could route that on a two layer board. Man that was fun.
It took me almost a day to get just that part routed out from under the BGA. I dare not used
an autorouter for that either.

james