[Coco] SockMaster Rocks!

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 00:38:58 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Little John (GIMEchip.com)
<sales at gimechip.com> wrote:
> I've been playing with the Donkey Kong from Sock - It is amazing. It did get me to thinking, though. I wonder if the CoCo 3 is powerful enough to emulate a ZX81? I bet Mr. SockMaster could pull it off. I don't know why anyone would want to emulate a ZX81 on the CoCo - really don't even know why it crossed my mind - Lil' John ...

I'm sure it could be done, but running at native speed is probably out
of the question.  A typical emulator requires a processor an order of
magnitude more powerful than the system it's emulating to be real
time.

In the early days of computing, it was standard practice to emulate a
CPU under development on an existing processor, this way software
could be written at the same time the CPU was being designed.  I
believe Don Weiss mentioned at the cocofest that the 6809 was
implemented on a PDP series mainframe before it existed in silicon.
Sometimes I wish I was born 20 years earlier, those must have been
exciting times.