[Coco] Can Someone Recommend A Small CPLD for the 8-Slot MPI?

Little John (GIMEchip.com) sales at gimechip.com
Mon Jul 5 21:13:16 EDT 2010

William,
That's a great idea. What I had intended was to use the $FF8x area. The MSB
of the MMU registers would be located at $FF8x while the LSB's would be in
the normal $FFAx range. On power up (but not reset), the $FF8x would
automatically be reset to 00's to maintain compatibility with the normal
DISTO method of 2-Meg's at power up. 16-bits would give us a total of 65,536
8K MMU blocks, totalling 536,870,912 bytes of memory for use by the CPU.
That's 512Megs of memory that is completely accessible to the CPU. Now, the
video circuit does not have a clue as to what to do with anything over
512K-bytes. Tony solved this by creating a video bank register at $FF9B. He
used the lower two bits to select 1 of 4 512K Banks during a video cycle.
So, during a CPU cycle - the DAT memory is muxed into Z9, but during a Video
Cycle, the two Video Bank Bits are muxed into Z9. Tony is a GENIUS. So, what
I would do would be to use all 8 bits of Tony's video bank register which
would allow 256 different 512K banks any one of which could house the video.
I believe this is completely attainable. Also, all 512Megs doesn't have to
be RAM, you could stick in some FLASH/EEPROM or what have you. This will
probably be the coolest of all of my projects and now that I have a
recommendation of a cool CPLD to use, I can make the design even simpler. My
dad gave me his vintage stuff to keep me busy while I'm unable to work. I
figure all of you guys have supported me by buying my stuff over the last
three years, so I am releasing everything that I design as fully open
projects for all to use as they see fit. Thanks to you all :-)
-John