[Coco] An 8-Slot Multi-Pak Design for my Color Computer Friends

afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 5 11:06:20 EDT 2010

Quoting "Little John (GIMEchip.com)" <sales at gimechip.com>:

> Had to have a fourth of July Holiday, so now I'm back. Let's have a look see:
>>
>> A huge mistake in not buffering the data bus on the main board. If
>> you are running a stock
>> Coco3, you do run the risk of damaging the MC6809E and the HD6309E
>> if the board
>> becomes detached while powered up.
>>
> That's easy enough to fix. However, even with the databuffer on the
> main board, detaching while powered up could cause damage,
> especially if it were knocked sideways - zap.

I keep hearing this over and over again, but have not found the 6809E
any more suceptable to damage in this way compared to say a 6502 or a
Z80, and believe me I've done enough (un)intentional
plugging/unplugging things with the power on :( :( I don't recall
killing a 6809 yet.....perhaps I have been lucky.

Mind this is in a CoCo 1/2 or a Dragon 32/64, so it may be different
in the CoCo 3.

Cheers.

Phill.