[Coco] Prototype PCB's

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri Jul 2 07:37:48 EDT 2010

On 1 Jul 2010 at 15:34, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thursday 01 July 2010, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> >If you don't mind three weeks minimum lead time for boards try
> > batchpcb.com. What is nice with them is that you can also make the final
> > design available to sell on their market place webpage. So when you get
> > the layout to where you finally want then anyone can buy the bare boards
> > through batchpcb.com. If you want fster service Adcance Circuit is
> > another outlet.
> >
> >They take Gerbers and panelize them and ship out to a house in China( Gold
> > Pheonix). Fast is not a marquee of their work. Price is sort of okay .
> > For 2 layer boards they are $2 or $2.50 a square inch.  Four layer in my
> > opinion is high at $8 a square inch. You can order a board as small as 1
> > square inch to 10x15 inch and one of a kind. PCBExpress has the limit of
> > they accept orders from their own software. Not bad but consider that the
> > 4 layer miniboard service gets you 3 boards at a specific size is
> > restrictive. Still the price is very competive. Their miniboard service
> > ends up at about $3.70 per sq in with shipping. There are som caveats
> > with their software that is not all that bad. It is rather easy to learn
> > and not near as complex as Eagle.
> >
> >james
> >
> >On 30 Jun 2010 at 21:27, sales at gimechip.com wrote:
> >> Can anyone recommend a good place to have prototype PCB's made in small
> >> (like 2 or 3) quantity for cheap. It would help me get these hardware
> >> designs out there faster. I have checked with Express PCB or PCB Express
> >> - their miniboard service would be great, that is, if they accepted
> >> Gerber's. As it is, I know my way around EAGLE pretty well - I don't
> >> want to have to learn a new CAD/CAM/etc. Package. And I have some really
> >> cool designs that I'd like to get out there, and yes, I do eventually
> >> release the entire designs for all to see - I want people to be able to
> >> build anything I design without having to order it from me (unless they
> >> want to). By releasing these things, people can improve them, build
> >> their own, etc. - That's why I enjoy doing this stuff - It's fun and you
> >> guys Rock Out Loud! Oh Yeah!!! (nope, I'm not Kool-Aid man, I just like
> >> to yell Oh Yeah!)  - John
> >>

> And that lead time is probably faster than I could round up all the stuff,
> so you might consider that.

I deal with mostly surface mount Technology, If I go out with a board with pads for a new
device in my library then I make sure the part is on hand before the board goes out. I print a
1x scale of the layout and verify the part and the layout match.

On through hole designs that can be done with little chance of an error.

james