[Coco] BASIC-09 signals (sorry!)

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 03:00:28 EST 2010

Thanks for the link, lots of interesting articles there!

The signal handler presented in Joel's article is almost identical to the
one Wayne and I created a few days ago.  It also has the same problem, it
misses signals if they are sent too quickly.

We came up with a nice way to mostly solve this issue.  Rather than have the
signal handler set a single variable with the signal's value, we use the
signal value as an offset into a Basic09 data structure.  A byte array works
well.  So instead of STB ,u we do STB b,u.

This sets value x in array(x) where x is the signal's value.  It allows you
to catch multiple signals of different values (in our case, a port closing
(HUP) signal and/or PD.INT or PD.QUT signal), but still misses multiple
occurrences of the same signal.

To deal with multiple identical signals, I think the handler could be
further improved to increment the element of the array corresponding to the
signal's value, so something like INC B,U.  The Basic09 code that is looking
at the array for signals can decrement the corresponding element each time
is processes a particular signal's occurrence, and so catch each and every
signal sent to the process.  I think this technique would be reliable, but
have not done any testing yet.

-Aaron