[Coco] signal/intercept routine in Basic09

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 19:32:46 EST 2010

I think there is great confusion here over what is a signal, and what
is an error.  Maybe there is conflicting documentation out there that
is adding to the mixups.

To (hopefully) clarify, based on experiments done recently with Wayne
and all the docs I have here:

Signals are *not* errors.  Entirely different things.  Errors don't
directly cause signals, nor vice versa.  There are some situations
where both an error and a signal occur together, or times where the
lack of a proper signal handler causes Basic09 to have an error.  This
probably adds to the confusion.

Basic09's ON ERROR statement does not catch signals.  It catches errors.

Basic09 does not appear to have any built in mechanism for
intercepting signals.  There is no "ON SIGNAL" equivalent to "ON
ERROR".

Despite this, it's still pretty easy to add your own signal handler
from within Basic09 by putting the asm for the handler in a variable
and doing a syscall F$Icpt with register X set to that variable's
ADDR().  You can use U to pass the ADDR of another variable or array,
and have your asm signal routine store the signal in the second
variable or array.