[Coco] Can I use a CoCo3 as a serial data sniffer/recorder?

chris cralt at comcast.net
Sun Jan 24 17:09:04 EST 2010

On Jan 24, 2010, at 9:46 AM, theother_bob wrote:

> I want to monitor a serial data line in my vehicle while a specific
> diagnostic operation is performed (programming the keyless remote.)
>
> According to vehicle factory service manual the data could be 9600
> or 38400 baud.

  I tryed this on another make and got stuff to show up on the
terminal.. ( I was using an old DEC terminal) but what ever the data
was it was a non-stop stream and not in anything I could make heads or
tails of. My scan tool shows all the sensor readings in real time so i
guess its just streaming all the time.

  There is a "non-working" tech1 on ebay right now. It looks like it
has the cart you need. At this time its at 81 bux.  I ended up finding
a SNAP-ON brand scantool for what I needed at a pawn shop.  The OEM's
try and keep any interfacing with the computer complete voodoo magic
so they can wack you at the dealerships.

> I can put the car into programming mode with a paper clip, but I
> have no scan tool to just say Yes. A GM dealer quoted me $80 just to
> do this. I told him he just priced himself out of a job. I can buy
> an aftermarket wireless remote kit for less than HALF that!! This
> kind of greed is why GM is dying a slow, steady death IMHO. They
> STILL don't get it, even today... sad.

For going to a dealer $80 isnt that bad. Try pricing a key or fob
reprogram at any other dealer. Ive seen any ware from 90(ford) to
$350(Mercedes) to do it.

A bigger stereo/alarm place might have the scan tool and do it cheaper.

-chris