[Coco] problems creating a boot disk from NitrOS9 03.02.09

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 22 19:05:39 EST 2010

On Friday 22 January 2010, Bob Devries wrote:
>Robert, you said:
>> It's a moot point since we are all obtaining the distribution disks from
>> our PCs. Just use any PC text editor that can handle $0D as a line end,
>> extract the script files from the .dsk images, edit them, and return them
>> to the images.
>
>I personally would much rather use an OS9 editor directly on the OS9 files,
>whether that be on the emulator or on the real coco.
>ED/VI looks good, and I could use VED also, however, my point was that
>there's only one editor on the NistrOS9 distribution disks, and that's
> EDIT. If I want to quickly modify the standard.bl file to create a new
> boot disk from the latest distro, I don't want to go through the hassle of
>transferring the file to/from the PC to do that especially if I'm using a
>real coco3.

I am doing this on a real coco3.  What you see posted here, is because I have
a shell running on /t2, and minicom running here against that serial port
feed the coco's rs-232 cable.

If someone needs a file from my machine, I just goto the minicom session
here, tell that shell to cd to where the file is, and type sz filename.
Minicom triggers on the zmodem trigger string coming in from the coco, asks
me where I want to put the file, and then Just Does It(TM).

Unforch, the shell on the coco is NOT zmodem aware, so transfers the other
way have to be done by preloading rz so the response time of the coco doesn't
cause too many timeouts, then kill that shell on the coco, switch to a
different window and run supercomm /t2, which is zmodem aware, and then wade
thru the menu's minicom has to start sz on this end of the cable.  Sometimes
it takes several passes to get the transfer going, but zmodem is of course
bulletproof if the coco version doesn't run out of timeouts & crash.  That is
its Achilles heel.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Factorials were someone's attempt to make math LOOK exciting.