[Coco] shell in NitrOS-9

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 22 07:58:20 EST 2010

Wayne Campbell wrote:
> I guess I was abit vague there. Sorry. I am running NitrOS-9 in the MESS
> emulator. I don't have my old CoCo3 anymore, and don't see getting one
> anytime soon.
>
> I want to be able to boot from the HD image that is being used in the
> emulator. I found that Aasron's disk has a special hd driver called
> EmuDsk. I think it should be able to allow me to boot from the image,
> but I'm not sure
>
> Wayne

Yes, you can boot into NirOS-9 from the hard drive image. I made
available from my site, RGBDOS for emulators. This is essentially the
same as HDBDOS on real scsi hardware.
This emulator version of RGBDOS is a patch to Disk Basic that makes use
of part of the hard drive for Basic. You place a NitrOS-9 boot disk on
any of the Basic "drives" residing on the hard drive image. You can go
to my site for details or Cloud-9 for details on HDBDOS as there is so
little difference between the OS. RGBDOS has been included in the VCC
package as an option.

With this type of boot, you can cobbler NitrOS-9 on a hard drive. You
need the drivers for virtual floppies on the hard drive. I can supply
that software.
You would enter  cobbler /v0    for example, and you would be changing
the os9boot file on say drive 255. Even without this added software, you
would be able to   cobbler /d0   then from Basic    BACKUP0TO255  and
get the same effect.