[Coco] Cobbler and hard disks was:Re: shell in NitrOS-9

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 22 04:13:18 EST 2010

On Friday 22 January 2010, mike delyea wrote:
>Just curious, since we are discussing hard drives, didn't Tandy make a hard
>drive controller for the coco?  Has anyone ever tried it?  Could it boot
>OS-9 without a floppy?

Not known Mike.  RS wanted $129.95 for a sasi, not scsi, controller that had
only 6, 74family ttl chips in it, nothing over 16 pin, and required _their_
hard drive at half a kilobuck for a 10 megger. AFAIK, they all went in the
dumpster eventually.  I don't believe anyone on this list would admit to
actually spending that sort of money for a 10 meg hard drive.  I do have one
10 meg Tandon scsi drive, alongside a 20 meg just like it though.  Hasn't
been powered up since I retired, it was my office machine & they gave it to
me while cleaning out my office back in 2002.  I think that with the B&B
controller, I might have put 90 bucks in it back in the later 80's, drives
and controller.