[Coco] 6809/6309 Power Analysis

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 18:31:24 EST 2010

Lothan wrote:
> I'm not so sure this presents that big of a problem. If the intent to
> is to measure pure processor current, you're probably right; however,
> I think think current sourced to read/write memory and used by the
> circuits in support of the processor is meaningful if the intent to
> support greener development methodology as a new branch of science.
I was just pointing out that you'd have to take those considerations
into account if you want to make comparisons that are meaningful. The
address range where your program and data reside is probably a factor in
the total power consumption. If you are not careful enough, you could
measure differences that are not due to the instructions being executed,
but to other factors like this.

> It could certainly lend credence to register-based optimizations to
> reduce current drain accessing memory if that's the scope.
Indeed.