[Coco] (Mega2) Was: new question/survey

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 21 08:28:45 EST 2010

Stephen H. Fischer wrote:

> It may have been done when the real hardware 8 Megs was built, I forget
> the person and the name of the project.

Paul Barton created boards with 8 Megs and higher. The use of this
memory in NitrOS-9 has been discussed but there does not seem to be a
good way to make the OS aware of it and able to use it. You run out of
system memory. :)
There are no problems with a user grabbing the extra memory and using it
directly. Just don't expect to be able to use normal OS-9 system calls
when accessing memory over 2 Megs.

In short the situation is exactly analogous to using over 128K under
Disk Basic. Any user can access it via ml programs but the OS is clueless.