[Coco] We need an FAQ

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Jan 18 10:37:02 EST 2010

Bob Devries wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think this group needs an FAQ.
>
> Such an animal may already exist, but probably needs updating, what with all the great developments of late.

I can work on some AQs that pertain to recent developments.  Help me
compile a list to add to the old ones.  Here are a few that come to mind
(not the final wording, just stubs):

1.  Q:  I have a Color Computer, but no disk drives or cassette
recorder.  How can I get programs to and from my CoCo?
    A.  Cassette cable to PC sound card.
    B.  Serial cable with server.
       I.   DSAVE
       II.  Drivewire
       III. CoCoNet

2.  Q:  What is Drivewire?  A:  See Q:1

3.  Q:  What is CoCoNet?  A:  See Q:1

4.  Q:  How can I display an image on the CoCo 3 in more than 16 colors?
    A.  The rumored 256-color GIME mode
    B.  Switching Palette registers
    C.  Flipping between graphics screens
    D.  Sockmaster's HiColor viewer
    E.  "256-color" NTSC Artifacting

5.  Q:  Can I use my CoCo to access the Internet?
    A.  Serial terminal programs
    B.  Hardware terminal servers and serial to ethernet converters
    C.  Software modem emulators
    D.  Drivewire
    E.  CoCoNet

6.  Q:  Where can I download CoCo-related software and documentation on
the Internet?
    A.  os9archive.rtsi.com
    B.  ftp.maltedmedia.com
    C.  ...

7.  Q:  What CoCo-related Web sites are out there?
    A.  cocopedia.com
    B.  coco3.com
    C.  ...

8.  Q:  Where can I buy new hardware for the CoCo?
    A.  cloud9tech.com
    B.  coco3.com
    C.  Roy Justus VGA adapter
    D.  ...

9.  Q:  Can I attach a VGA monitor to my CoCo 3?  A:  See 8C.

What other questions come up a lot?

JCE