[Coco] .cas & .bin files with drivewire

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 17 14:14:52 EST 2010

Would it not be possible to have the CoCo end patch the cassette ram
hooks to fetch bytes over the DW link rather than from the casette, as
this would allow direct use of .cas files, and would work for the
majority of loaders.

Sure it would mean that the DW protocol would have to be extended, but I
believe Boisy, has said this is ok, as long as you pass the extensions
back to him so that they can be documented centrally (and so that
everyone uses the same protocol).

I guess it would only break on things where a small program was loaded
normally and then it took over the cassette sysyem, I know a lot of the
C64 fast loaders did this but I'm not aware of any for the CoCo/Dragon.

Cheers.

Phill.