[Coco] Did you know that...

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 14:40:50 EST 2010

Frank Swygert wrote:
> I also have a copy of "Stan Veit's History of the Personal Computer"
> which should be required reading for anyone really interested in the
> history of computers.

I'm not lucky enough to own that book, but I knew of the web site
(www.pc-history.org). I agree with you; this is a required reading.

> The book has an ad from Veit's computer store for the SWTPC 6800 with
> a price of $395 with 2K RAM, $125 for each additional 4K. That would
> be just over the $495 price that the 78 RS catalog has for a 4K
> machine. I'd think a 4K board in place of a 2K would be about 2/3 the
> price of a 4K board (not half), so that puts RS at $15-20 over Veit's
> price, which isn't bad (roughly 5% higher at RS).

Except that with the SWTPC, you had to buy an RS-232 terminal (which
probably cost over $500), while the TRS-80 only required the dedicated
monitor. The latter sold for $200 alone, but you could buy a bundle
(system). A 4k Level I system (computer + monitor + cassette recorder)
sold for $600, and a 16k Level II system sold for $988. I believe the
TRS-80 system was a lot cheaper if you take that into account.

> So the TRS-80 had just come out when that catalog was printed, and
> Tandy obviously started selling computers before the TRS-80 was
> developed.

There are other RS computer catalogs (the RSC-xx series) available
online at http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/extra_stuff.html. Go and
browse them, it is really worth it. What's "strange" is that the 1977
(RSC-01) and 1978 (RSC-02) catalogs do not include any non-Tandy
product. So the 1978 catalog at
http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bill_r/Tandy_TOC_Frames_Page.htm remains a
mystery to me.

Christian