[Coco] splitting the screen

Fri Jan 8 18:07:32 EST 2010

Hi,

There are several ways that can be used, one is to set up the window
descriptors like I did with the split screen ones already set up. That is
what I am looking for. So far I have just found the descriptors asm source.
The text description of these is what I am looking for, I may have to try
and read the original 3.5" floppies.

In addition I created a shell+ script to convert the current window to a new
type or create a new window.

These two methods are useful if you decide you want two (or More) screens on
the physical window. With the limit of 80 x 24 having four 40 x 12 screens
is a good limit to not exceed.

I am unsure if you wish to split the screen just for your own testing or
plan to supply the program to others with split screens.

If just for your own testing then the predefined descriptors would be the
best way to, that's what I used quite often along with changing the window
type on the fly.

But if you plan to release the program to others then you cannot use the
predefined window descriptor route.

The split screen Windows would have to be created on the fly using Window
"/W" so that the next available window will be assigned by OS-9. Then that
window would need to be made the active window and then the second widow on
the same physical screen created. If you would wish to keep these windows
open after you program terminates then some way of closing them would need
to be provided. The one I created just went away when the program terminated
which is the best way. If the data on the screen is wanted to be kept, then
it should also be written to a text file.

I expect to find my Basic09 manual soon, I think that Tandy included
commands for windowing. I did not use them as my work was in "C".

Off to look for more CDs and DVDs before digging out the original 3.5" disks
which may no longer be readable. Floppy Disks have an expire date!

SHF