[Coco] [magervalp at gmail.com: Re: 6809 assembly knowledge needed]

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 7 09:14:25 EST 2010

On Thursday 07 January 2010, John W. Linville wrote:
>Cool comment regarding 6809 on the cbm-hackers list -- I thought
>y'all might enjoy...

Chuckle.  Having looked at the available architectures circa 1982-5, I was
convinced long ago that both the z-80, 8080 and the 6502 variants, were quite
drain bamaged, and that the 6809 was by far the smartest cpu around at the
time.

There are some other odd architectures out there, the 1802 from RCA, and the
9900 from TI come to mind.  The 1802 wasn't a pic processor but could have
been made that way by careful but slow programming.  I didn't use that
however when I wrote an application for an 1802 that survived in the KRCR-TV
control room for over 15 years.  The 9900 used local memory for its image of
its registers, and could switch contexts in a single instruction simply by
reloading its register pointer to a different process's register image.  The
stopped process had no knowledge that it had been stopped, even if the
stoppage was weeks in duration.  When resumed, it simply resumed at the next
instruction fetch.

The advent of PIC programming was, IMO, a watershed moment in computing
history.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Don't hate yourself in the morning -- sleep till noon.