[Coco] splitting the screen

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Wed Jan 6 17:12:02 EST 2010

Definitely download the "Mastering OS-9" book. It was originally written
by Paul Ward. I gained permission to edit and re-publish it in 1995. I
only wish I still had a copy of the disk that went with it! If anyone
has a copy of the disk, please upload it to the archive site and ask
Dennis to move it to the file with the book. The Falsoft books are
pretty good, but Paul wrote "MOS-9" as a tutorial from start to finish.
It's a bit harder to use as a reference that way, but I remember that I
had my personal copy tabbed with commands and such so I could quickly go
to any I needed. The explanations with examples are top-notch! I went
through the book trying everything myself and clarifying slightly when I
edited it. I was only vaguely familiar with OS-9 at the time, so it was
all but from a new users point of view. I've forgotten most of what I
knew about OS-9,but not all. At least I recall enough to understand most
of what's going on when someone tells me how to fix/mod something in
Linux using the command line! Without that OS-9 experience so long ago I
might be a bit lost... ------------- Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 23:36:40
-0700 From: Willard Goosey <goosey at virgo.sdc.org> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010
at 06:49:51PM -0800, Wayne Campbell wrote:

> > I have read that manual before. I know it tells me everything, but the examples are sparse and few, and without a good example to go by, how can you learn the correct method?

Yep, the OS-9 manuals are like the UNIX manuals.  They're references,
not tutorials.

I second the recomendation for the Falsoft books.  Good stuff.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"