[Coco] Weird CoCo3 problem...

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 5 23:07:27 EST 2010

On Tuesday 05 January 2010, Brian Blake wrote:
>Hi Gene,
>
>Pin 9 of the LS138N is the /SCS, and that reads the same 2.24vdc from pin 9
> all the way to the disk controller's LS139AN pin 15.
>
>Be placing a Jameco order tomorrow.
>
>As for soldering iron, I have two. One Radio Shack selectable from 20/40
> watts. I also have a Chinese knock-off of a Hakko 852 with adjustable
> temperature. That's what I used for my first 6309 upgrade almost three
> years ago, and has soldered countless joints on the Christmas light
> controllers I've built. The R/S unit was bought this past summer for quick
> work at home (I keep the other one at work where I have more space) and
> did the swap over the weekend on the CoCo in question. It hasn't been used
> 1/100th as much as the 852 has, and it's tip is almost useless. The 852's
> tip still looks very good, heats up in seconds, and does an overall better
> job.
>
>Incidentally, I swapped the PBJ upgrade from the problem CoCo3 into the
> 128k unit I had, plugged the FD-502 into, loaded played Sock's Donkey Kong
> a few times, and then played it for about two hours - I think that pretty
> much says the PBJ board is fine. Now I gotta order a couple 512k upgrades
> from Mark; one for this CoCo and one for my re-pack...
>
>Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Glad I could help.  And the PBJ board is ok for a memory boost, but I found
the 2 meg disto kit, using more modern simm type drams but cmos, draws 1/10
the power of the PBJ.  Virtually no heat with a 63C09 in the cpu socket.
Mine runs on an old pc power supply with all the shack parts removed, and I
can toss furniture blankets over it for a day at a time, 2F temp rise right
over the middle of the grill where the memory sits.  The GIME is by far the
hottest chip in mine.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Mal: "Next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to
my face."
				--Episode #9, "Ariel"