[Coco] Disto 4in1 6551 mod

Tim Fadden t.fadden at cox.net
Mon Jan 4 22:39:09 EST 2010

On 1/3/2010 8:28 PM, Tim Fadden wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am wanting to use trxmon/login.  In the docs, I ran accross this:
>
> REQIREMENTS:
>   o CoCo 3
>   o OS9 Level II
>   o A LOGIN command
>   o Hayes Compatible Modem
>   o Either -   6551 UART (RS-232 Pak or equivilant) with inverted cable
>               NOTE:  The Disto 4-n-1 cannot be used unless it has been
>                      modified as the 6551's DSR line is tied to ground.
>                         or
>               6552 DUART (Eliminator) and DACIA
>
> and from the disto docs, I see that RTS, CTS and DSR always enabled.
> Any hacks to make this all correct?
>
> For the life of me I cannot find any information on the Disto 4-n-1 mod.
> Does anyone out there have, or know where I might find it?  Even
> schematics would help.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Tim Fadden

Well, I got no hits, so I will answer some of this stuff myself!

I got the schematics.  Still need some help with modding the 6551 to
make the lines work properly, if possible.

I did find that I can use the trxlogin with the stock tsmon.  This gives
me encrypted passwords! and the ability of the user to change his/her
own password.
this pretty much is all I need. TRXmon adds the ability to auto-baud,
and kill the process when connection is lost. That would be ideal. The
way it is now, if someone kills the connection without an ex, the next
person to connect gets their shell.  not good.

So, If any kind soul out there can help me with the disto mod's it would
be great.

Tim Fadden