[Coco] NitrOS-9 Cobbler Problems

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 4 11:04:43 EST 2010

Joel Ewy wrote:
> Ok, I'm coming to the conclusion that the bootable disk images made for
> Drivewire don't have the boot block in the same place as a floppy disk.

DW3 disk images are assumed to be single sided but large. The disk must
conform to the standard format to be bootable so the boot track must be
at T34S1 or LSN0 264, which it is on the distributed NitrOS-9 DW3 disks.
The dmode report for these drives in part is cyl=0400 sid=01.

Problems with booting typically are caused by several factors.
1) sysgo is missing or in the wrong place. It can be in the root
directory or the os9boot file.
2) shell and grfdrv are missing from the cmds directory or have the
wrong attributes. They must be executable as must be any required merged
files in cmds.
3) The modules /dd or /d0 have the wrong parameters. In this case, /dd
must be the drivewire version.

If cobbler is not working as needed, the most likely problem is that the
descriptor in use is not correct. So, if you enter
cobbler /d0
or
cobbler /dd
what you get depends on /d0 and /dd. In this case, they must be set for
a drivewire disk.