[Coco] 'head' and 'tail' for CoCo OS-9?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jan 2 23:15:59 EST 2010

On Saturday 02 January 2010, Lothan wrote:
>The argc/argv logic is actually handled in cstart.r, which can easily be
>linked with an assembly-language program. If you look at the code in
>cstart.a, you'll see that it sets up the stack, zeroes out the data area,
>parses the command-line arguments, and then branches into main.

Having written some things in C, that was in the back of my mind since back
in the 80's.  I believe it is also noted in both versions of K&R C.  The
important part is that it is there & we don't have to re-invent that
particular wheel.

Our Microware C compilers problems were pretty well concentrated in c.prep,
and cprep19, which I had a hand in, alleviates the majority of its problems,
mostly a poor memory for var names and their storage areas once the src code
files total more than 10k or so, it would scribble all over itself, usually
without throwing any errors. Till you tried to run its output and got some
grand and glorious crashes. ;-)

Since rzsz-3.36 is about 34k for the src code for either rz or sz, you cannot
build a working rzsz on the coco without using cprep19 in place of the
Microware supplied function.  It is, or was, on rtsi.

That is not to sell short some of the other contributions to the C compiler
we have available, ansifront-0.12, c.opt2 and CnoY (for coco3 code only) have
all served us well.

Ansifront goes in front, and converts ansi src code full of voids to
something our voidless compiler can build, usually without any changes to the
src code at all.

And as for compiler supervisors, we have several versions of CC, and even an
older make, which if you get the syntax right in the Makefile, also works
very well indeed.  I've used them all way back then.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

He who slings mud generally loses ground.
		-- Adlai Stevenson