[Coco] 'head' and 'tail' for CoCo OS-9?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jan 2 17:27:57 EST 2010

On Saturday 02 January 2010, Joel Ewy wrote:
>Surely somebody has made these useful utils...  I can't find them on any
>of my old floppies, or on RTSI, Maltedmedia, or any other source of CoCo
>goodies.
>
>Ideas?
>
>JCE

If the file locking still works correctly in the newer versions of nitros9,
list makes a reasonable substitute.  It tmode pause is on, you have a head,
and if its off, and you've started an assembly that is making its listing,
then that listing can be read in very close to real time with list, which
will read the file till it runs into the currently locked by the assembler
sector, and will dutifully wait till that sector is written and unlocked,
reading it when it can gain access.

There is a slight gap between the assemblers unlocking that sector and
locking the next as it writes, so there is an about 1 in a thousand chance
that list will read beyond the write, but you'll have to play with it, a lot,
to get exactly the timing glitch to effect a list.  Only with faster hard
drives was I ever able to trigger it, never when working on floppy's.