[Coco] Coco 3 256 Color Composite Mode

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Thu Jan 14 00:51:31 EST 2010

You miss a few emails and POW! You get sucker punched!

I haven't been following things lately due to all kinds of other issues
getting in the way, but I was clearing out my email backlog a small bit
and ran across this new graphics "mode". I can't believe it is this simple:

http://www.coco3.com/community/2009/02/256-color-mode-composite-mode-artifacting/comment-page-6/#comments

I haven't had time to try it (my CoCo 3 system is packed away for right
now), but it makes complete sense. The thing that makes my stomach drop
is how close the CoCo community was to seeing this mode, back in Rainbow
days.

I remember an article that detailed using dithered colors on the
640x200x4 color mode to get more colors; the sample programs were bar
code displays (IIRC), and they used different colors (not the grey
scale), essentially blending the colors. I think you could get 9
pseudo-colors that way (?).

I don't know why NOBODY thought to use grey-scales; I sincerely believe
that this is likely the "hidden" 256 color mode. I am glad this was
discovered, I only wish it could have been done sooner.

Oh well. Something I now wonder: Could doing palette switching (ala 64
color mode, or Sockmaster's modes) in this mode boost the number of
colors any? Is there are way to poke some values in certain GIME
registers to effectively use this mode, but manipulate it as if it truly
were the 160x200 mode (ie, only have to deal with that number of bytes,
instead of the larger number in the 640x200 mode - not sure if that
makes any sense).

Anyhow - wow! I can't wait to try it, and see what else comes out using
it; congrats and thank you to all involved!

--- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona