[Coco] SECB discussion...

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Sun Jan 3 16:40:33 EST 2010

If Tandy had been paying any attention to the CoCo users at all, they wouldn't have went to Microware in the first place, they'd have went to Art Flexser. His ADOS was the most widely used alternate "DOS" for the CoCo. I always thought the original and ADOS 3 were a work of art (nice pun there too!) -- they managed to maintain 95% (or better) backward compatibility while greatly enhancing functionality.

SECB WAS just a kludge to get some slight enhancements into the existing DECB without going back to Micro-Soft. It wasn't, and couldn't be a big jump. Tandy wanted to maintain maximum backward compatibility. In that they succeeded, but it wouldn't have taken much to include support for 40 track drives (all Tandy drives were by then!) and even double sided drives. Plug in a 35 track and it would just error out when an attempt was made to read the back side or a track beyond 35. Lots of things they could have done! If you want an enhancement, get a copy of ADOS3, customize, and burn into ROM. You won't regret it! Art allowed the code to be posted and downloaded for free some time ago, not sure if it's on the archive site or not.