[Coco] How to trick Disk BASIC?, or Drivewire sans disk controller...

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 01:45:44 EST 2010

On 2/15/10, Arthur Flexser wrote:

> The CART autostart jumps to $C000 after checking that the first two bytes
> of the cartridge ROM are not ASCII "DK", which would indicate a disk
> controller.
> If "DK" is found, the jump is to $C002.  But, I really don't think the
> two-byte difference in addresses accounts for your crash.

The CART auto-start happens very early in the initialization sequence,
just after Color Basic has configured the PIAs and SAM.

Disk Basic doesn't use auto-start, because it requires that Color and
Extended Basic perform nearly all of their initialization tasks before
handing off to Disk Basic.  The check for "DK" is done by the Extended
Basic ROM, and this is why Disk Basic won't start if you only have
Color Basic in the CoCo.

Darren