[Coco] How to trick Disk BASIC?, or Drivewire sans disk controller...

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Feb 15 20:12:17 EST 2010

Darren A wrote:
> On 2/15/10, Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> When I switch it to Orch 90 it works fine.  But HDB-DOS apparently isn't
>> happy that it isn't in an actual disk controller -- I don't get the Disk
>> BASIC screen, but a garbled text screen.  The same thing happens if I
>> put in a 2764 with the patched Disk BASIC out of a Disto Super
>> Controller II -- the garbled screen looks identical.
>>

> ---
>
> The Orch 90 pack is setup for Auto-Start.  You need to put some tape
> over either the Q or CART connection.

A-ha!  That did it!  So the CART Auto-Start must jump to a different
entry point than the beginning of the Disk BASIC ROM...  Now I just need
to cut the CART line and wire it up on the other side of my switch so
that it breaks it when it switches to HDB-DOS.  When I'm finished I'll
post about it on my blog to share the details.

Now I need to figure out how to use 'play' to listen to audio files in
NitrOS-9 while I watch 256 artifact color slideshows.  :)

JCE