[Coco] System gen problem - SOLVED!!

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 16:12:08 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Steven Hirsch <snhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry you had so much trouble.
>
> Not a problem.  It was obviously "just one of the things that happens" and
> believe me I've done things of that nature myself :-)
>
>> Since we're moving on to DriveWire 4, I think it makes more sense to
>> change the page a bit to point out the Java server.  At some point I'll
>> update everything, but it won't be happening soon. Things are just too busy
>> for me right now.
>
> I understand.  Hopefully anyone planning to work at that level will see this
> thread on the list and know not to use those drivers.
>
> I have very mixed feelings about moving to a Java-based server. I understand
> your motivation for making this move, but I personally prefer the light
> weight of the C version.

Just to be clear, there is no reason anyone cannot continue to use the
version they have now if they prefer it.  DriveWire 4 does not enhance
the disk drive, RTC or printing capabilities found in DW3.  If the
other capabilities added in dw4 are not interesting to someone, I
strongly suggest they stick with the software they have now and for
the foreseeable future.  DW3 works very well.

> Every time I've coded anything in Java, it just seems to take five pages of
> source to do even the simplest things.  For portability, I vastly prefer
> Perl and have written some fairly complex applications in that language that
> truly are "write-once, run everywhere".  But that's just me, I guess, and it
> doesn't diminish my admiration for the work you guys have done one iota!

I like Perl quite a lot myself and have used it in some large
projects.  However getting Perl working on Windows would be more work
than I think most Windows folks are willing to do just for drivewire.
Unless you're planning on contributing to our work, I think the
verbosity of Java source won't be an issue in this case.

> Aaron sent me some input on getting it going, so I'll give it a try.

side note, sorry: did you receive my email containing the text of all
the messages I tried to send before?  something seems to be broken in
your mail flow, just wanted to make sure you're getting my messages.
send me a note off list either way.