[Coco] LCD TV with CoCo 3

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Feb 10 19:07:06 EST 2010

On Wednesday 10 February 2010, Mike Pepe wrote:
> [...]
Mike, that will need to back up and capture the data before it actually gets
to the gime.  Only that way can adequate bandwidth be maintained.

Maybe there are faster gimes out there than mine, but frankly its video
output rise and fall times are entirely too slow by a factor of at least 10,
taking a blue signal a minimum of 6 dot clocks to reach its final voltage,
which isn't much for the blue in particular since they did the amplitude
matrixing in the gime proper, with the peak voltage delta at its output being
only .7 volts for green.  Peak blue output for my gime is hard put to be more
than .1 volts p-p.  You simply cannot get it up out of the noise with only
that minimal level to start with.

We would need to read the data from memory, using the same clock the gime
uses, and then feed it through a triplet of 2 bit d/a convertors with less
than a dot clocks (14 mhz) rise & fall times, do also a 3x2 matrix on the
same data to recover the luminance, and then do an analog multiply of all 3
channels to get the brightness back.  That would, IMO, be much better done in
the digital domain though.

The gime was a rather tour-de-force for the coco at the time in '86, but time
has proven, at least to me, that it was a hugely power compromised design
from the gitgo.  My guess is that the power budget was dictated by the
refusal to do anything to improve the coco power supply's output capability,
which on the 3, is taxed to the max with what they did do.  Virtually
anything that we do, will require more psu, preferably a switcher that
doesn't waste 30 watts as heat.  Even TI, in the 99/4A, had 3 or 4 x the
coco's power available, with only 10% of the heat lost.  Unforch, while that
psu was available on the surplus market for peanuts back then, now we'll need
to locate a newer one.

Has anyone figured out how we could develop a detector that could watch the
gime's outputs, and strobe our circuitry to grab that byte wide bit of data
the gime gets when it is going to make video out of it?  That is the starting
point to getting us truly 'eye candy' quality video IMO.

Unforch, while I have the schematics, I don't have the waveforms & timings,
hence that question above.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

It is the wise bird who builds his nest in a tree.