[Coco] Would anyone like some snow?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Feb 10 16:57:47 EST 2010

On Wednesday 10 February 2010, Aaron Banerjee wrote:
>We've got plenty of it here -- and then some.  It can sometimes be
>funny, though.  While shoveling the driveway, even the dog started
>digging...

Still coming down here, at about a 45 degree angle, 6" or so so far.  Power
and telco still in good service too.

>On a coco-related note, what's the best word processor for the Coco
>2?  VIP?  I was wondering if anything existed that was better.

Whatever works, Aaron.  I used xed/xprint for a while, but I've been using
the tsedit patch called vi for what seems like forever.  But with recent
versions of nitros9 grabbing that as a device name, I've had to rename it,
including internally, to "ed", so history has come full circle.

It hasn't made a non -recoverable mistake ever, and you can load a 55k file
into it on a coco3, more by far than any other editor we ever had.  Dynastar
can go bigger yet, but only about an 8k buffer is paged in from disk at a
time, and it can't back up, which for an occasional code carver like me is an
absolute requirement. 'ed' (vi/tsedit) to the rescue IMO even on a coco2 with
its limited memory, use what you can. Or use DynaStar, which can handle
bigger files on a coco1/2 with its disk based paging.