[Coco] System gen problem

chawks at dls.net chawks at dls.net
Tue Feb 9 12:51:19 EST 2010

  BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
 On Tue 09/02/10 11:07 AM , "Boisy G. Pitre" boisy at tee-boy.com sent:
 On Feb 9, 2010, at 10:56 AM, Steven Hirsch wrote:
 > On Tue, 9 Feb 2010, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
 >
 >>> I just figured out that I needed to use the -d flag when taking
a CVS update
 >>> on nitros9.  Now, it has the sources for the DW modules so I'll
try using
 >>> those.
 >>>

 >> You will not want to use the DW modules from CVS unless you also
are
 >> using DriveWire server from the DW CVS (the new Java version of
the
 >> server).  The new DW drivers will not work with any of the old DW
 >> server versions (the individual linux/mac/win type).
 >
 > Ok, thanks for the warning.
 Steve,
 FYI, I have just updated the SOURCE of the three platforms (win,
linux & mac) to accommodate the OP_VPORT_READ command.  It just
responds with two zeros and doesn't support any of the virtual port
features of DriveWire 4.  I don't know what server you're using, but
if it's the Linux one, you should be able to CVS update and recompile
then use the new drivers.
 Again, this is untested.
     I did that to my local copy (linux version) a while back. HDBDOS
was so busy not getting a reply from the server, I couldn't type DOS
(or dir). Worked properly after I got the server to lie as above.
 > Thinking logically about the problem, what happens when you
request, e.g. a directory of a drive?  I'm assuming that the kernel
walks the RBF headers in memory until it finds one with the name of
the requested volume.  Is there correct so far?

 > If I'm not off-base, then it appears that the kernel is either not
finding the '/x0' module OR the module is missing an important bit of
information required to flag it as operational.  If I run ident on
the generated boot file, I can see 'x0' so I assume the name is
correct.  What else needs to be there for the kernel to say "oh,
yeah, you are a disk descriptor"?
 The E$BNam error has something to do with linking to the dw3
subroutine module, I believe.
 One quick thing: once you boot to your hard drive, what happens if
you just iniz /x0 (and not do a dir on it?)  Does an error come back?
 > I'm sure no one else will ever have the problems I'm seeing.  Over
the 25-years I've been involved with computers, I've become extremely
good at breaking things.  I might go so far as to claim the title of
"World's Most Dangerous Beta Tester"!  Unfortunately, the things that
break for me generally never cause problems for anyone else and
generally cannot even be reproduced by the author :-).

 > Ah well..  Back to earning my living.  Fortunately, the VLSI
Design Automation software I get paid to write is proving more
tractable. Today, that is.