[Coco] C Programming

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Feb 7 00:34:36 EST 2010

On Saturday 06 February 2010, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
>Hi,
>
>There is a version of "make" that is much better.

Yes, I have used it a couple of times, but carving a Makefile from scratch
was never a strong suite of mine.

>The author I forget except that he changed his name. He also wrote other
>OS-9 software.
>After I changed a source file all I had to do was start a batch file and
> the executable was rebuilt. And perhaps the ram disk changes were copied
> to the floppy so that the changes would not be lost.

Std for almost all software now I believe, to rebuild and relink the whole
thing, but only actually recompile one file, all you have t do is 'touch' the
file.

>I suggested long ago that a web page listing what you just provided would
> be useful.

Perhaps I should copy this to my own pages?  I haven't changed much there in
about a year, although the nitros9 link is now to the beta of 3.2.9, and that
is collecting some cruft as I fight with sc6551.dr, it has a hang if flow
controls are needed.  However, windowing the faster client will keep it under
that trigger point if the incoming buffer is big enough, due to the windowing
handshaking.

>I wish I had time to build one, but I do not.

>Collecting all the files into a HD image would also be useful.

I might be able to do a tarball I suppose.  gzipped optional.

>I can provide a dsk image that may be set up ready to go, but I have not
>looked at it for decades.
>

>I also have many CD's and files that are at the level of K&R. "C". JPL
>Library, Numerical Recipes, Graphical Segmentation, and much more.
>
>SHF

Interesting.  Have you considered offering it to the nitros9 folks?

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"If a machine couldn't run a free operating system, we got rid of it."

  -- Richard Stallman (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)