[Coco] 256k upgrade

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Tue Feb 2 20:44:56 EST 2010

----- Original Message -----

From: "Robert Gault"

>> One Caveat; they provided support for OS-9 Level 1, but no one has yet
>> figured out what needs correcting for NitrOS9 Level One. Quite simply,
>> NitrOS9 will not boot.
>>

> Bruce,
> This is new to me. Are you saying that with this specific 256 upgrade,
> NitrOS-9 Level I won't boot or that there is a more general problem with
> NitrOS-9 LI?

OS-9 needed a modification to run on the 256k equipped CoCo.  The disk had a
Basic script that modified a sector or two on an unmodified copy of the boot
disk after verifying that it was a unmodified boot disk.  You could then use
the modified disk to create any further boot disks.  So far, nobody has
identified just what modifications were made to what modules.  NitrOS9 will
probably need similar modifications made to run on the 256k banker modified
CoCo.

Bruce W.