[Coco] Full GUI DriveWire 4 beta

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 18:55:20 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Steven Hirsch <snhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No problem.  When the server reports back that midi is suppressed, maybe
>>> you
>>> can gray out anything underneath the pulldown?  Then, if it appears
>>> again,
>>> you just cause the pulldown to fill in.
>>
>> The problem would be that unless you try to do something with MIDI,
>> the client would never know whether it was turned on or off.  The
>> client does not maintain any information about the state of the
>> server.
>
> Understood.  But can't you capture the event when the user pulls down the
> MIDI menu and poll to see if MIDI is disabled?

I could, but a user on the CoCo or another client could still enable
or disable it after I draw the menu but before you click on an item.
Changing how a menu is displayed on the screen for several moments due
to the setting at one moment is still letting the client maintain
server state, and I dont want do that.

I'll just make the commands fail in a normal way, essentially the same
thing that happens if you try to do other things that don't work.  I
don't see people turning MIDI on and off very often, and I think its
even less likely that someone who has turned it off will spend much
time trying to use it.