[Coco] Need to replace deteriorated original disks

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 01:31:58 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 12:51 AM, Nick Marentes <nickma at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> I've been busily using Cloud9's excellent Drivewire software with HDBDOS to
> backup my old CoCo development disks.

I'll be working on the DW4 GUI including a "wizard" for transferring
disks to .dsks and vice versa over the holidays.
Since you've been doing this recently, I wondered if you could let me
know what you think the best approach would be.   If anybody else has
thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

My basic idea is to have the program walk you through the process.
You choose "copy a floppy to dsk" and it prompts you for a destination
file name, displays the commands to type on the coco, and you're done.
  It seems likely that for transfers from flopppy to disk, people
would want to do several disks in a row, so I was thinking a button to
"do it again".   going .dsk to floppy, probably not a batch as much as
single disks?

DW4 can map any HDBDOS "drive" to a single file, so it would be
possible to do BACKUP 0 to 1, BACKUP 0 TO 2, etc on the coco for each
disk..  the wizard could sort those into files in a directory, or
could prompt you for filenames for each, or could just do one at a
time using the same drive #, not sure if manually incrementing the
disk # on the coco side might be error prone for the user.

anyway, the goal is to make archiving a floppy disk collection into
.dsks as simple and fast as possible.  any ideas are welcome.

-Aaron